Thursday, August 13, 2009

Displacement

Spring was coming to a close in New England; summer was knocking on the door. I was in my apartment looking outside the window. There were white fluffs, each as large as a palm of a hand, flying in the brisk wind. Seeds they were, in their millions. So dense was the air, that it appeared like a heavy snowfall.

For many plants and trees, dispersion of the seeds by means such has the wind is critical. Without this displacement from the parent, sprouting, and hence the continuation of life wouldn’t be possible.

“Displacement” was the thought that stuck on to my mind, that instant. As I thought, I realized that I was displaced myself - from the comforts of my hometown, my folks, my friends and my home. As much as it is painful to leave these behind, it is important to do so. It is displacement that makes you better, both in your career and your life. The further you put yourself away from the comfort zone, the better you would learn to adapt, and thrive.

Displacement was what I needed. Now that I have it, life beckons, again.

No comments: